Friday, January 31, 2014

Young cuts short his career

Announcing his retirement Friday will be 3B/1B Michael Young. And he's coming back to Arlington to do it. The 37-year-old Young had a good 14-year career, all but 2013 with the Rangers. I first saw him in an exhibition game with the Blue Jays, the team that drafted him, before they put him into a trade with Texas for RHP Esteban Loaiza.
Like Lance Berkman's, Young's career was a little short of the Hall of Fame. They both would be in the Hall of Very Good Players.
Just a thought: The Royals' trade of LHP Everett Teaford may have foreshadowed Kansas City's re-signing LHP Bruce Chen, a good guy to have on a team. He may not have reached the level envisioned for him when he was coming up through the Atlanta organization, but Chen certainly has made a lengthy career for himself. Because he's left-handed?
* * *
Hockey. My newest goalie, Frederik Andersen, picked up a win but I still lost half a point in that category Thursday. Going into the evening, three of us were tied with 35 wins. But another one of us also had one win, and the third had two wins to move 1 1/2 points ahead of us.
Saw the Devils' defense shut down the Stars and their power play to win 3-2 in overtime. You can read my edited account.
* * *
Basketball. I improved to 8-0 this week, but I'm still ahead in rebounds by only one, in both assists and blocks by eight and in field goal percentage by less than .004. I was surprised, because my three players combined for 69 points but did very little else.

No comments: