Saturday, January 25, 2014

How successful was Holland's surgery?

Even the Yankees' signing of Masahiro Tanaka, the backlog of free-agent pitchers hasn't been reduced.
There's still not much going on in baseball. I did hear that Rangers LHP Derek Holland, on crutches, said the microfracture surgery on his knee wasn't as bad as what RHP Scott Feldman had when he was Holland's teammate. Feldman missed most of the season after his surgery, but has bounced back with other teams.
How Holland would know that isn't clear. In any event, it sounds like wishful thinking. You know, like how every player's surgery is deemed "successful" on the day it's performed. Who's going to remember that two years later when the guy has pitched 12 innings and can sign only a minor league contract with a non-contender?
* * *
Hockey. Saturday night was good.
I saw the best game, with the best crowd, that I've seen in the eight seasons I've been going to Stars game. Dallas stayed hot, defeating the Penguins 3-0 before the second sold-out house this hockey season at the American Airlines Center.
My fantasy team picked up 2 1/2 points, 2 in plus/minus (despite a combined minus-4 for my two Colorado defensemen) and 1/2 in power-play points. So I'm up to 66 1/2, but still third among 10 teams.
I have to do a better job checking out matchups. Philadelphia's Steve Mason was in goal against the Bruins, who all but skated on his face in a 6-1 victory. My goalies are down to 5 points in wins, with three teams below them within three wins. Of course, I'm already at the bottom of the league in GAA and save percentage. It could get worse.
I've set my team up for Monday so that the Avalanche players on my roster won't be in my lineup on the road against the suddenly red-hot Stars. We'll see how that works.
* * *
Basketball. I've made some lineup moves for Sunday, the last day in this week's competition. I'm ahead by about a 2:1 ratio in all six counting categories, but have slim leads in both field goal and free throw percentage.
I'd like to preserve that 8-0 lead, so I've benched the active players, Victor Oladipo and Mo Williams,  with the poorest shooting percentages. My opponent still might overtake me. Among the players in his lineup are Dirk Nowitzki, Manu Ginobili and David Lee. I'll get to see Dirk against the Pistons. I wouldn't wish ill on him, but if he has a cold night, so be it.
* * *
Football. Does anyone know who's even playing the Pro Bowl Sunday? Somewhere, I'm sure, bookmakers have set a line for the game? exhibition? farce? And somewhere, someone will bet on it.

No comments: