Friday, January 3, 2014

If Orioles reach postseason, Berry could be a weapon

Still not much cooking on the hot stove barely five weeks before pitchers and catchers report.
1B James Loney has signed his 3-year, $21-million contract to return to the Rays. That's bad news for rookie 1B Vince Belnome, who has hit in the minors without reaching the majors and wasn't likely to have much playing time anyway.
A nice small deal was the minor league contract Quintin Berry signed with the Orioles. He's a good candidate as a fourth or fifth outfielder who can add a left-handed bat and even more important, a pair of legs with great base-stealing prowess (29-for-29 in the majors). His skills would be more important should Baltimore reach the postseason.
The Astros must project a big role for RHP Jesse Crain, a Canadian who signed a 1-year, $3.25-million contract with his adopted hometown's team.
The Reds are contemplating signing OF Grady Sizemore. The oft-injured 31-year-old has not played in the majors since 2011.
* * *
Hockey. My team remained at 66 points, now 6 1/2 points out of second place. All but one of my skating positions will be filled Saturday, with possibly two goalies starting.
* * *
Basketball. My team is stuck at 5-3 in this week's head-to-head competition. Jared Sullinger's 3-for-17 shooting took a heavy toll on my field goal percentage, which trails my opponent. I'm also trailing by seven 3-pointers and eight assists.
* * *
Football. Don't think I'll win anything in the pick-winners bowl pool. I lost 17 points with Ohio State and gained just 4 for Missouri Friday. I have just 35 points total remaining for the final three bowls. If Vanderbilt, with its 28 points, loses Saturday, I'm sure I'll have no chance to finish in the top three.
Haven't seen the standings on the point-spread bowl pool for a few days.

No comments: