Thursday, January 2, 2014

Downs could help White Sox bullpen


The White Sox have announced their 1-year, $4-million contract with free-agent LHP Scott Downs, with an option for 2015.
Their bullpen has been rebuilt, with Downs and RHP Ronald Belisario replacing RHP Addison Reed and LHP Joe Thornton.
Losing a closer (Reed) and left-handed setup man could seem like a big deal, but it's not as if the Sox bullpen was very effective last season.
The leading candidate for the closer's role is RHP Nate Jones. The 37-year-old Downs has 26 career saves, and RHP Matt Lindstrom also has been a closer.
To make room on the 40-man roster, Chicago designated LHP Santos Rodriguez for assignment.
Another up-in-the-air closer situation is in Texas, where RHP Neftali Feliz is considered the front runner, but could face challenges from RHPs Joakim Soria, Alexi Ogando, Miles Mikolas and Tanner Scheppers. Mikolas has been traded from the Pirates. I've seen him and Mikolas pitching in the Texas League. Scheppers was lights out before an arm injury, but pitched very well for most of 2013 in a setup role. For my money, Soria, Scheppers and Feliz would be the top relievers, with the order depending on their physical condition.
Any team needing a closer still could hold out hope to sign free-agent RHPs Grant Balfour (again depending on physical well being) or Fernando Rodney.
The Angels have taken a mild gamble by signing LHP Mark Mulder to a minor league contract. He hasn't pitched in the majors since 2008, but he could earn as much as $6 million this season from an incentive-laden contract.
* * *
Football. Shouldn't have said anything about my success in a college bowl confidence pool. I think I had only one winner in Wednesday's six games. I'm still sixth but down to about plus-170, and some 30 points out of third place and the money.
In my hypothetical $1,000-wager NFL pool, I am putting $200 each on the Saints and Packers and $100 each on the Colts and underdog Chargers. I expect to be in a straight pick-'em pool, where I'd probably take the same teams, except for Cincinnati over San Diego.
* * *
Hockey. Still at 65 points, and in third place seven points out of second. My plus-minus dropped from plus-13 to plus-12. Thursday's lineup has all but three skating positions filled, plus one goalie. I can pick up a point with five assists, plus-two in plus/minus and .04 in save percentage.
* * *
Basketball. After Wednesday, a poor shooting night dropped me down to a 7-1 lead. My team's field goal percentage is down to just .4395, trailing my opponent's .4412. I still lead by only one 3-pointer, two steals and 17 points. I'll have nine players going Thursday, to seven for my opponent.

No comments: