Thursday, November 28, 2013

Will Nolasco help Twins more than they hurt him?

These are not your older brother's Twins.
No more Justin Morneau. A scaled-down Joe Mauer, possibly playing first base.
With Terry Ryan back in charge, Minnesota has an improving farm system that will begin paying dividends in a few years.
For now, the hope is that players such as Aaron Hicks, Chris Parmelee and Brian Dozier can develop into above-average major leaguers. By the end of this season, highly regarded prospect Byron Buxton and Miguel Sano could be playing in the majors. Both have been injured this off-season, but not likely to miss any time in the spring.
In the meantime, this is still not a good team.
Apparently, Ryan and manager Ron Gardenhire persuaded RHP Ricky Nolasco the future is bright enough that he should sign to become the Twins' ace instantly. Yahoo Sports indicated that he and the team have agreed on a 4-year, $49-million contract.
Now I like Nolasco. But the 31-year-old's career totals are just 89-75 with a 4.37 ERA. Not quite ace material, but then he hasn't been with good teams all of his career. He did help the Dodgers down the stretch this year.
Nolasco is not likely to get any better at this stage of his career. He still is an improvement for the rotation that had the majors' worst ERA in 2013. The question is whether he could lift the Twins or they would drag him down. 

* * *

Football. One change in my lineup in the scoring-only league. I did receive Harry Douglas on waivers, so he's in my lineup ahead of WR Pierre Garcon. He is in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I'll watch the Raiders and Cowboys through the horde of people who will be here for turkey and possibly tons of other food. Don't worry. I'm recording it so I can write coherent Fantasy Vision reports for draftsharks.com.

* * *

Hockey. My plus/minus continued to slide, even though my team scored enough goals Wednesday to move into a tie for the league lead. We picked up 3 points to widen the gap over the fourth-place team. I finally rid the roster of Ottawa's Milan Michalek by picking up free agent Dustin Penner.

* * *

Basketball. Wednesday was a bad night. I'm now behind 5-3 for the week after dropping behind in field goal percentage. Nobody on my roster is playing today, so I'm likely to remain behind for another day in what has become a shortened week.

No comments: