Saturday, November 16, 2013

Berry buries Mesa rally in AFL championship game

Here's the longer-form version of the post that Firefox ate (see post, "The dog ate it.") Apparently, it also autosaved most of what I'd written. The Surprise Saguaros won the Arizona Fall League championship Saturday with a 2-0 victory over the Mesa Solar Sox. The game turned in the sixth inning. Trailing 1-0, Mesa had the bases loaded with one out. Orioles prospect Tim Berry, a left-hander, retired AFL most valuable player Kris Bryant (Cubs) on a foul pop and then struck out league batting champ C.J. Cron (Angels) to end the inning. Surprise scored its first run with two out in the second. Henry Urrutia -- not a typical AFL prospect; he played in the majors for Baltimore this year -- doubled and scored on a single by Jorge Alfaro (Rangers). Urrutia went 2-for-3 in the game. In keeping with one of the least appealing aspects of 21st century baseball, the Saguaros used six pitchers in the shutout. * * * Update on my fantasy hockey league: my goaltending situation grew brighter. My lineup-setting wasn't very good. I picked up half a point because Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer earned a win, and another half-point because I moved into a tie in ATOI. On the downside, five of the six skaters who played for me Saturday were minus-1. And the only skater I didn't play because he was minus-5 for the season, Thomas Huberdeau, was plus-1. I led the fourth-best team in plus-minus by 1 point through Friday, but now I'm in fourth place and 7 points out of third. I guess the lesson is this: Play all of the available players on your roster. If you don't trust a guy enough to use him, he probably doesn't belong on your team. I'll give Huberdeau another chance or two. I also put in a waiver claim for a goalie. I'll let you know how it comes out.

No comments: