Friday, November 22, 2013

Freese for Bourjos looks like a winner

I'll try to keep this short. I'm tired after getting home from Jazz-Mavericks. Well done, Samuel Dalember!
OK, I'll talk basketball first. I'm now ahead 7-1 in this week's competition, which I believe runs through Monday. I trail only in assists, by 6. I have set my Saturday lineup, which will have either 9 or 10 positions manned. I moved Victor Oladipo into the starting lineup to help with the assists. I also picked up Cavaliers C Anderson Varejao, who even has a couple of assists per game, when I waived recent acquisition Gerald Wallace. I'd like at least to maintain this lead, which would jump me up to eighth place and in a position to be in the first division within a couple of weeks.

* * *

Next up, baseball.

3B David Freese should benefit from his trade to the Angels if for no other reason than he'll get to play 19 games against the Rangers. RHP Fernando Salas could fit into Los Angeles' bullpen well. Unlike many of the relievers who performed for the Angels last season, Salas at least has had a measure of success in the majors. Not enough success to make him a viable closer, or even to supplant RHP Ernesto Frieri.
Freese would fill a void at third base for Los Angeles.
Individual winners in this trade are Angels OF Kole Calhoun, who should enter 2014 as their right fielder, and Cardinals 2B Kolten Wong. He can try to make up for being picked off in the World Series by playing well as a regular next season. The plan apparently is to move 2B Matt Carpenter to third. To me, he's still another outfielder trying to play the infield.
A potential loser is St. Louis CF Jon Jay. There will be pressure to have CF Peter Bourjos, the centerpiece moving to the National League, to play in at least a platoon role. Rookie Randal Grichuk also could make his way to the majors during 2014. Another possibility is that Jay could be traded. He could be a consolation prize for a team missing out on free agent CF Jacoby Ellsbury.

* * *

Hockey. As I prepare for bed, my team is half a point out of third place. I'm very close to that third-place team in goalie wins and ATOI (average time on ice), and could make up to a 4-point swing. Of course, my goalies would actually have to play to win. It appears that I'll be able to fill most of my 15 (?) positions for skaters. Look at me, I don't even know how many players to start. Note to self: Find out.
My apologies for being on my last legs and forgetting how to spell Anderson's last name and Grichuk's first name entirely, and for being too tired or lazy even to Google. Note: I have fixed these and caught up on my sleep.

No comments: