Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Major leaguers still better than college players

There were sort of real exhibition baseball games today in Florida.
The Tigers and Yankees each took on a college team that posed new threat. All four lineups were littered with no-name players. In fact, the most recognizable might have been Jameis Winston, who played for Florida State in its 8-3 loss to New York.
A guy named Ramon Flores homered for the Yankees. Their starting and winning pitcher was LHP Vidal Nuno, with two scoreless inning.
For Detroit, Steven Moya, who has been hanging around Lakeland for the last four late winters/springs, drove in four runs with a double and a triple. LHP Robbie Ray, the winning pitcher, struck out five Florida Southern batters in two innings of a 12-0 shutout. The Tigers' starter, RHP Drew VerHagen, struck out two in two perfect innings. He no doubt faced tougher batters when he was at Vanderbilt, and again last season in the Double-A Eastern League.
Elsewhere,
-- The biggest news, probably non-news in the long run, came from the Angels' camp. LHP C.J. Wilson was hit by C Yorvit Torrealba's batted ball during batting practice, and OF Josh Hamilton was on crutches because of a strained left calf. Neither injury is expected to affect regular-season playing time.
-- Free-agent LHP Johan Santana threw for seven teams in Florida. His fastest pitch hit 81 mph. That means for his changeup to remain effective he'd have to dial it down to about 65.
-- For openers: LHP Madison Bumgarner would start the Giants' first regular-season game.
-- Baltimore. OF Nelson Cruz passed his physical, and now is officially an Oriole.
-- Washington. RHP Ryan Matheus was scheduled for an MRI exam to determine the cause of chest pain that has kept him from throwing for six days.
-- Pittsburgh. For some reason, the Pirates claimed 3B Brent Morel on waivers from the Blue Jays. Because he's a Steelers fan, perhaps?
On Wednesday, there will be slightly more real games, at least between two teams wearing major league uniforms: Tigers-Braves, Yankees-Pirates, Blue Jays-Phillies in Florida, and Reds-Indians, Athletics-Giants and Dodgers-Diamondbacks in Arizona. There also will be a Miami vs. Miami game. In that one, my money is on the Marlins over the Hurricanes from The U. I think.
 * * *
Basketball. Not a good start for my fantasy team this week. I couldn't get on to the ESPN.com site earlier Tuesday. By the time I could, about 7:30 p.m. EST, I wasn't able to put Tyler Zeller into the starting lineup. Not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing.
Worse news: I was trailing this week's competition 5-3. I'm going against the team in second place overall and leading the other division. If he keeps that advantage, he would stay alive for at least another week. Going by the early (small-sample-size) results, two other teams would remain alive in the fantasy regular season.
The oddity is that I was leading in the categories that usually give me trouble: the two shooting percentages and 3-pointers. I trailed by two steals and three blocks, so I'm not entirely pushing a panic button.
Even worse news: The newest addition to Team Fresh Prints, Knicks G Raymond Felton, was arrested in the wee hours of Tuesday on weapons possession charges. He won't be back in court until June 2, which would be long after the Knicks are finished for the season, so I wouldn't be without him -- if I decide to keep him on my roster.
Updating an hour later: The Zeller non-move is paying off. He has 0 points in the third quarter. Despite a double double already by David West and 20 points from Victor Oladipo, the score is down to 4-4. No more posting partial scores.
* * *
Hockey. I currently have nine skaters listed as playing Wednesday. That means I'll have to get up early and make sure I have the right players in my lineup each day through the end of the week, and that I've made all the moves that need to be made. Should I waive my two players on IR: Henrik Zetterberg and Valtteri Filppula? I'll let you know.





No comments: