Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Freeman earns big contract; can Heyward do the same?

The biggest contract signing Monday was the Diamondbacks' re-signing with OF Gerardo Parra for this season.
Tuesday's activities dwarfed that one. The Braves avoided arbitration with the two players they hope will be the kingpins of their offense for the near future. 1B Freddie Freeman signed for a franchise-record $135 milion over eight years, and OF Jason Heyward agreed to two years and $13.3 million.
To put Freeman's contract in perspective, the most Chipper Jones ever got was $90 million for six years. Yes, there has been some inflation since then, but Freeman's amount still blows Jones out of the water. Can Freddie earn it? Yes, unless complacency sets in. In Heyward's case, Atlanta must be hoping that his seeing a few million now could be the incentive he needs to show that he's ready to earn and receive much more in his next contract. He hasn't yet shown that he's worthy.
A more sobering note: Padres LHP Cory Luebke will undergo Tommy John surgery for the second consecutive year, and as a result will not be pitching for the second season in a row.
Free agency continues to be a topic, but a slow-moving topic with no signings for a while.
The players being spurned because they would cost the signing team a draft pick are RHPs Ubaldo Jimenez and Ervin Santana, OF Nelson Cruz, DH Kendrys Morales and SS Stephen Drew.
With RHP Jeremy Hellickson out for at least six weeks this season, the Rays could sign RHP Bronson Arroyo, the next-best available starter to take Hellickson's spot in the rotation for at least a while.
Other starting pitchers still available include LHPs Chris Capuano, Barry Zito and Paul Maholm, and RHPs Tommy Hanson and Jake Westbrook. Out of that group, I'd be most interested in Maholm and Hanson (if he isn't hurt).
Former closers available are RHPs Joel Hanrahan, Andrew Bailey, Rafael Betancourt, Kevin Gregg, Brett Myers, Francisco Rodriguez and Fernando Rodney. There are reasons why most of them USED TO BE closers. Rodriguez is second among active pitchers with 302 career saves, but at this point he's far more likely to get 2 more saves than to get 300. Rodney is the best of the lot; he still seems to have that chip on his shoulder/swagger combination that works so well in that role. RHPs Luis Ayala and Frank Francisco have had some saves during their career, but seem barely capable of keeping a major league job now.
LHPs Mike Gonzalez and Oliver Perez also are available for bullpen supporting roles.
Other free agents who have had some success in years past are 3B Placido Polanco and OF Juan Pierre, who doesn't seem likely even to steal enough bases to have some fantasy value.
Look ahead to Thursday. That's the day when the first pitchers and catchers will report -- for the Diamondbacks, who will open the regular season (with the Dodgers) a week earlier than everyone else in Australia. Arizona also seems serious about being a player, both in free agency and on the field.
* * *
Hockey. On Monday, eight skaters were active on my team, and they provided no goals, one power-play point and two penalty minutes.
As usual, I misplayed my goalies. I used Frederik Andersen, who gave up four goals in Anaheim's loss. I really had been counting on Ben Scrivens to win for Edmonton against the Sabres, the league's worst team. But he wasn't in goal. The newly reacquired Steve Mason did play for Philadelphia, allowing two goals in a win.
Tuesday was better. Clarke MacArthur helped me pick up a point with 14 penalty minutes that moved me into second in that category. That point lifted my team's total to 67, 7 1/2 points out of second place. I'm also within 20 of first place for the first time in ... a month? two months? My plus/minus is sliding into at least the outer circles of hell. I'm down to plus-45, just 4 ahead of the team behind me and 41 away from the next higher team. My best chances for an additional point are save percentage (trailing by .025) and assists (10 back of the next higher team).
For Wednesday, I decided to go with Joe Pavelski, playing at home against Dallas, than with Corey Perry, who's going against the Blackhawks.
* * *
Basketball. Through Monday, my lead was just 5-1-2 -- with ties in assists and 3-point field goals, and trailing again in field goal percentage. After Tuesday, it appears that I'm up to 6-2, with a lead in assists on the strength of Ricky Rubio's 13. Gerald Green sabotaged me with his 2 for 13 shooting. Jodie Meeks played only a minute before he decided he couldn't play on his sore ankle -- just long enough to miss both of his shots.
Meeks is now off my roster, along with Joe Johnson. In their place, I picked up Jose Calderon to help on 3-pointers and Boris Diaw for his shooting percentage. It doesn't hurt that he's one of my favorite players. What's not to like about a black man named Boris from France? (Especially one who can play.)
I really need to fix my field goal percentage before the playoffs to avoid a premature exit. If I don't I'll have to depend on building up big leads in the counting stats, and late in the week still trying to use only my best shooters.
It's possible that I would make more playoff moves, or that I could stand pat with players I hope will do better.

No comments: