Saturday, March 22, 2014

Kershaw pitches most of opening game Down Under

Baseball season has arrived -- in Australia, at least.
Aussie fans got to see some of what we're used to Up Above. Included were a rain delay, a wind-blown home run and what passes as a pitching gem in these days.
Dodgers LHP Clayton Kershaw went all of 6 2/3 innings in a 3-1 victory over the Diamondbacks in Sydney early this morning (tonight in Australia). I hate to be an old fart, but Juan Marichal and Don Drysdale and Ferguson Jenkins would have spit on a 6 2/3-inning opening game. I'm pretty sure Nolan Ryan still would. And you can't tell me there's no correlation between pitch counts and inning counts and the rash of pitching injuries we're seeing in the 21st century. But that's a topic for another day.
OF Scott Van Slyke hit the wind-blown homer for LA. RF Yasiel Puig, whose has been on the interstate throughout the exhibition games, went 0-for-5. How silly does all that outrage about not putting him in last year's All-Star Game seem now?
The other topic on my soapbox for today is that it's a shame today's (in the U.S.) two games aren't on a more available television outlet than just the MLB Network and mlb.tv. Especially if you're going to take the games to another continent, you owe it to your domestic fan base to get their baseball juices flowing.
The Dodgers and Diamondbacks have another game Sunday afternoon in Australia (10 p.m. EDT tonight), with LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu (he's getting good enough that I know can type his name without having to look up which vowels go where) against Arizona RHP Trevor Cahill. You can probably follow it on Gameday. I'll probably check in to see what the simulated hitters' background at Sydney Cricket Grounds looks like.
In a way it's a good thing that I neither have the MLB Network in our Uverse package, nor have mlb.tv for this year yet. I'm supposed to be getting a discounted package as a sometime official scorer, but I haven't heard back on my request. But by being part of the other half for now, I see that it's an injustice to the universe of baseball fans. Does baseball actually think that we wouldn't buy the mlb.tv package if we could get two games from a foreign land relatively for free. What about the other 2,400 or so games this season?
The beginning of the baseball season, on top of everything else in life, also means there's a whole lot I could be writing about that I haven't written yet.
Life has intruded on baseball a lot the last couple of weeks -- nothing bad, just a whole lot of stuff to do. Thus I haven't had or taken the time to write about Reds LHP Aroldis Chapman's frightening injury and a lot of battles for positions, spots in rotations and bullpens and other baseball concerns.
I hope to do a lot more in the next few days, even with three fantasy drafts in Sunday. Can't do that now, because I have a Stars game this afternoon. But there will be more, and I hope a return to a daily blogging schedule.
* * *
Basketball. Our league is in the playoffs, and my team's late-season slide has continued. Through the first 5 of 14 days in the first round, I'm tied 4-4 with the team that finished fourth during the regular season. The reason that I'm tied and not ahead comes down to one word: Shooting. I trail in field goal and free throw percentage, 3-point field goals and points. All shooting.
Today's active players are three big men and G Victor Oladipo. I'm hoping the big guys get plenty of put-back opportunities to improve my 43% shooting, without sucking at the foul line. Even Carmelo Anthony scored just 21 points Friday, when the high scorer among my 10 active players was Amar'e Stoudemire with 22. Belated props (does anyone say that anymore) to Ricky Rubio on his triple double Wednesday. That certainly helped my team in assists and rebounds. I'm also leading in steals and killing in blocks.
Most of the basketball news these days is about the NCAA tournament. I'm in three pick-'em pools and another that pays off for each game after those phony first four. It's like a traditional Super Bowl pool, based on the final score -- with my square representing the same score (I think winner ending in 7, loser ending in 3) for all 66 opportunities, including halftime of the Final Four games. So it's 66 chances to "win" among 100 contestants -- even if winning means getting half of my money back for a first-round win and I think breaking even with a Round of 32 win. I split up the upsets for my pick-'em pools, so that I've had most of the upsets. I don't know whether it will be good to have those evenly distributed among the three or to have one entry heavy with correctly picked upsets. Hedging my bets, I went mostly with chalk in the most expensive pool, figuring that I might not win as much but at least I wouldn't lose as much by playing it safe.
* * *
Hockey. I'm confused about the game limits in my league. While I've been rationing my playing time, the team directly ahead of me in second place already has exceeded the games limit. The only place I've been able to find for a clarification has been a message board on espy.com. I don't expect an answer, and I don't expect to move up in the standings after being in third place for months.

No comments: