Monday, December 16, 2013

Ellis looks like better pickup than Axford

Two baseball deals were set over the weekend, another was finalized and two others were reported.
The Dodgers confirmed that 3B Jose Uribe would return on a 2-year, $15-million deal and the Twins re-upped RHP Mike Pelfrey for 2014 and '15.
The Mets completed their 2-year contract with free-agent RHP Bartolo Colon.
The reported free-agent signings were by the Indians for RHP John Axford -- who could become their closer, at least until he loses the job -- and the Cardinals with 2B Mark Ellis. He could take some pressure off left-handed-hitting 2B Kolten Wong.
* * *
Football. The problem with having more than one fantasy team is that a guy who gives you a win in one league could beat you in another. That appears likely to be the case in my two football leagues.
Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles' 5 touchdowns gave me 30 points in my scoring-only league. That helped me to a 63-20 lead with RB Ray Rice and the Lions' quarterbacks still to play. My opponent's starting lineup has all played already. In a league that has been going since 1987, I haven't scored more than 70. And that was when we got double points for 50-plus-yard scoring plays and I had Jerry Rice on my roster. I'll still be two games out of first place with two to play.
In my scoring-plus-yardage, I'm on the verge of blowing a 25-point lead after the first week of a two-game consolation semifinal playoff. Playing against me, Charles scored 51 points. That helped my opponent pulled within 183-181 with my roster exhausted and Lions RB Reggie Bush still available for him Monday night.
* * *
Hockey. With only one player from my roster actually playing, I dropped a point in ATOI. Valtteri Flippula gave me an assist and plus-1. Fortunately, I didn't make a change to put Flyers G Steve Mason in my lineup. He again gave up four goals, and lost in overtime. But I might have been able to use my two Ducks skaters, Corey Perry and Dustin Penner, each plus-1. I apparently didn't make lineup changes after Saturday night's Bucks-Mavericks game. Got up this morning at 5 to go to Bonham for two church services, took a nap when I returned and didn't wake up until the Packers were scoring to pull within 29-24 of the Cowboys.
Made another move to get more minutes as well as some penalty minutes and shots and a positive plus/minus on my backline. Welcome, Stars D Brenden Dillon to replace the Bruins' Torey Krug.
* * *
Basketball. Late Sunday afternoon, after Gerald Greene made a 3-pointer, I was leading 8-0 as this week's head-to-head matchup neared its end. However, I knew my lead of 1 3-pointer wasn't safe with Stephen Curry still playing for my opponent.
So I wasn't surprised when Curry made 4 treys and no one on my roster had another. However, it was a surprise that my opponents' hustling team made 13 steals and 32 of 35 free throws (while my guys were missing 5 of 17). That left me with a 5-3 win for the week (22-10 over the last 4 weeks after a 5-18-1 start).
I moved up to seventh place, 2 1/2 games out of fifth. I'm also 4 1/2 games behind the third-place team, my opponent for the next week, and 7 1/2 out of first.

No comments: